When do I need to register as an employer in the Netherlands?

Before you can employ staff, you must register as an employer with the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. You will then receive a payroll tax number, which you will need for, inter alia, submitting payroll tax returns. As a foreign company in the Netherlands, you are obliged to register as an employer and deduct payroll tax from your employees’ wages if:

  • Your company has its registered office in the Netherlands
  • You have a permanent establishment in the Netherlands
  • You post or second personnel in or to the Netherlands
  • Your employee works on the Dutch continental shelf
  • Your employee falls under the national insurance schemes of the Netherlands

Related Questions

Which migrant workers need a residence permit? Can your employees from abroad apply for a permanent residence permit?
Do employers of migrant workers need a work permit? Is there a difference between employing nationals of the European Union (EU) and non-EU nationals?
What do you, as an employer, have to keep in mind when hiring new staff members?
The IND has introduced a streamlined process to grant residence permits to highly skilled migrants. Whether or not a highly skilled migrant is granted a residence permit depends on income levels and agreements between the IND and the employers.
Once you have found the perfect candidate, it is crucial that a clear employment contract will be agreed upon. What are important elements of an employment contract?
At Direct Languages Center in the Hague your employees can participate multiple language courses, such as the Dutch beginners course and a wide range of exam preparations.
If you run a company in the Netherlands, you must provide your employees with a healthy and safe work environment.